Author Topic: Needing some advice regarding Streaming and Kids who Stream  (Read 178 times)

Offline Mark (Shadowfax 13th)

• -The world breaks everyone...
  • Star Colonel
  • Bloodname: Ghost Bear
Needing some advice regarding Streaming and Kids who Stream
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
A good friend's daughter, all of 14, is Twitch Streaming a great deal and without any supervision.
I need to ask some questions and figure out how to help her figure out what, if anything, she needs to be worried about. I'm doing this for her because I'm in a position to ask a bunch of folks who are more or less likely to have some good answers without having to wade through a bunch of shit.

Please PM me, or respond here. Thanks in advance for your time.

-

Offline Edvarr

• True warriors do not follow paths, they make them.
  • Warrior
Re: Needing some advice regarding Streaming and Kids who Stream
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »
I spent a little over a year doing live streams and quit because I do not like what does to me. As a streamer you are always chasing the views, wanting new viewers and hoping to grow your audience. You can start with the best of intentions but eventually you will get the bug and start looking at your channel, questioning why channels with no talent hacks can get large audiences and you cannot.

As a girl the situations becomes potentially worse than for boys.

You see the immediate answer to getting more views is to be more outrageous. You have to throw out your self respect and do stupid crap on the stream to get people to watch. Either you do this with language or via actions, you must act crazy, just nuts. As a girl you have an extra option open and one I wish they would never use, that is the "boob" streamer. Many girls use their sexuality to keep the boys watching and it has nothing to do with the actual streaming content.

Now if this sounds a bit like sour grapes, I guess it is. I was a professional broadcaster for 20 years. My streams were entertaining, (according to the audience I had) informative and thought provoking. We discussed the games played as well as the issues gamers were facing. I even did a lot of giveaways ranging from game codes (some basic games but many triple A titles as well) and hardware even a few video cards. Despite this the only way the numbers went up was when Id di something dumb like one night I had a drinking contest. Think how silly that is, the night I am just having drinks on a stream we got more live viewers than a planned RX 390 giveaway (400 series was not out yet).

In the end what I am trying to say is that unless she is just going nuts to stream try to talk her out of it. She is not likely to "make a living" at it and it can actually be something that is emotionally painful over the long run.
It is the cause that must be our beacon. In this war with the Inner Sphere, it is the Clan that must prevail, not the individual in battle. Each time you destroy an enemy Mech, it is the Clan, not your personal glory. Anyone who is not willing to die for the Clan, is not truly a warrior.

Offline Prime2310

• Dawn is coming for you.
  • Warrior
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 08:42:43 AM »
Yeah, knowing how 14 year olds act and not really know her. She needs to be care as she could be incited to do things just for that donantion. this is ntohng against her... but that of the mind of a minor that can be warped by the sick and twisted people of this world.

I believe she should be supervised or atleast the channel moderated to stop things like this and maintain a good healthly nature of the stream.

I agree wirth Edvarr it boils down to what is she willing to do to keep the views up and the money coming in with donations. Now im pretty sure a teenager wont think twice about doing something really stupid for a $500 donation.

this is taking it to the extreme and i have no idea what her character is like, but i have encountered a lot of stupid teenagers that do stuff without thinking of their actions.

• Star Colonel
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »
I appreciate the comments guys, and look forward to more thoughts from anyone who has any... ok, that sounded worse than intended...

-

Offline Dubious Squirrel

• I'm New, Help a Sibko out!
  • Star Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 08:26:27 PM »
Be very careful. Think about what you are getting involved in.

• Star Colonel
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 05:54:31 AM »
What do you mean Dubious?

Also, I'm considering setting up a Trothkin account for my friend here so that she can participate in the conversation. I believe there is a lot of wisdom our community could share...

-

Offline MandarbBushido

• Warrior
  • Bloodname: Memba
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »
Great thread. I have two girls in elementary school now so 14 is right around the corner.

I think the exposure to the unfiltered feedback from your viewers is a big concern. Some people are just going to be mean, why open yourself up to that?

Sometimes teenagers don't want to even listen to "other ideas" but have they considered something like making YouTube videos and start by sharing with only family/people they know?

....that would provide the XP of being in front of the camera and working on the same skills, but in a more controlled environment.

Best,
MBM

Offline Dubious Squirrel

• Star Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
What do you mean Dubious?

Also, I'm considering setting up a Trothkin account for my friend here so that she can participate in the conversation. I believe there is a lot of wisdom our community could share...

You're being obtuse, you're smarter than that.

• Star Colonel
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »

Man, Dubious, I'm not trying to be obtuse. I come by it honestly enough. When I sound smart that's me acting.
Are you talking about my getting involved in what's a family matter with my friend? I'm just trying to poll the collective wisdom.

-

Offline Defensores.Vitae

• Star Captain
    • Clan Ghost Bear
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
Mark,

What is this kid's stream about?

I have 3 children; the younger ones are 12 and 16 year's old. When both my daughters were younger they had issue with cyber bullies while playing games online and twitching with their online friends. Now all three of them enjoy watching others stream (usually via youtube); which maybe a safety valve for the kid in question.

My son watches the streams of other kids twithching, but I only allow him to view the youtube uploads, nothing live; I learned this with his siblings, it is better for the child than entering the unfiltered world of live streams.

I recommend you speak with this child and her parents about the youtube option; she will still have followers, comments, and a much more enjoyable time without a lot of the stress involved with live streaming. Just my two-cents.

Offline xUnbreakablex

• Warrior
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 11:43:05 AM »
Be careful with that Minecraft stream. I was channel surfing one day bored and I came across a Minecraft charity stream and wasted like 6hours watching it.

• Star Colonel
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »

Well we thought her stream was her playing Splatoon 2. But, and this demonstrates how little I know about this, she could be playing anything now. As far as anyone can tell, her parents that is, she's streaming while gaming.

I'm currently researching methods that my friend can use to monitor from behind the scenes as well as perhaps moderating. The thing she's worried about there is her daughter's much more savvy than either of her parents and I was thinking that unless they have a behind the scenes kind of method they still wouldn't know what's going on.

-

Offline Edvarr

• True warriors do not follow paths, they make them.
  • Warrior
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »
One option might be getting her a part of a gaming community. For example a few of my online friends and I all met via streaming and now we help out when the others stream. This would mean adults are in the channel when she is active to help monitor everything.

I would however, as a parent just make clear, she can only stream when one of the parents is online and in channel. That is a fairly simple rule and should not be to hard to implement.
It is the cause that must be our beacon. In this war with the Inner Sphere, it is the Clan that must prevail, not the individual in battle. Each time you destroy an enemy Mech, it is the Clan, not your personal glory. Anyone who is not willing to die for the Clan, is not truly a warrior.

Offline xUnbreakablex

• Warrior
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:18:12 AM »
I thought splatoon 2wqs only available on the switch? And the switch doesnt have any streaming capacity. But I may be out of the loop there.

• Star Colonel
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:55 AM »

It's possible that you're correct in part, but I went looking and found some Splatoon streams. That being said I do think that it's most likely she's playing more than one game, I can't imagine anyone playing just one game for any length of time.

-