Author Topic: Streaming Media Players ....  (Read 155 times)

Offline Doc Dino

• Fair Winds & Following Seas ...
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Bloodname: Ghost Bear
Streaming Media Players ....
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
Ok ...  as most of the regulars know after moving from Philadelphia with Broadband Cable to Rural Maine my TV selection (& Internet) was severely depleted of choices to acquire services.  Eventually got off Satellite (Ick) & went to DSL as that allows me to do MWO & everything else I play ..

I have been thinking about getting as the Title says, a Streaming media device ..  that being said ......
    Many questions .....

1) Does anyone have & use any of them regularly ??   Roku, Amazon fire stick, Chromecast, etc. ??
2) Also looking at Sling TV anyone use that too ??
      For doing both together thinking about getting a Roku device as Netflix, Sling, Amazon Prime & Hulu have direct buttons to them on remote ..
3) How does Sling work ??  just like looking at YouTube for example ??

Anyone with knowledge of this please let me know what you think ..

Thanks ...    Doc

Freedom isn't Free .....    Common sense isn't so Common anymore  ...

Offline Defensores.Vitae

• Star Captain
    • Clan Ghost Bear
Re: Streaming Media Players ....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
Dude, don't do it. I (strongly) recommend using Chromecast + your phone, tablet, or computer to stream anywhere and any time. I use it on business trips, vacation, etc. As long as the television has an HDMI port, and your phone has a good connection it works.

If you have an older television, sometimes you will need to plug in the USB cable as well. Check out the link; they cost about $35 each and they are yours to keep.

Offline Ghostryder

• Bekker
  • Khan
  • Bloodname: Bekker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »
I've got a Roku and Chromecast, love them both.  It does require a strong wireless conection though

Offline BigBlue

• Old age and deceit can beat youth and skill ...
  • Warrior
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
I have Roku, and DSL. We only use it for Netflix, the weather and Youtube. It works great for us.

(Note: as I said in person my experience accounts for little except that Roku works fine, since I have no XP with Comcast.)
Bigblue
Mechwarrior

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
As quoted in Pocket Patriot : George S. Patton, Jr. Quotes from American Heroes (2005) edited by Kelly Nickell, p. 157

Offline CoffiNail

• CGBI Founder
  • The Kinship of spirits is vital
  • Oathmaster
  • Bloodname: Tseng
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
Have a Chromecast. Works great and it is usually easy to stream most things with your phone/tablet.

Offline Tactical Neural Implant

• Warrior
    • Mech-Works
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »
My wife and I do pretty well with this combo: PS3(for Netflix, Youtube, Amazon), Chromcast and Roku for pretty much everything else (which means the odd "old-movies" channels or similar)

Offline Mark (Shadowfax 13th)

• -The world breaks everyone...
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »

Except, you can use Roku for all of it. Honestly Roku is the best bang for your buck, it's free and you only need to pay for the individual Streaming services.

-

Offline xUnbreakablex

• Warrior
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
I have an Apple TV. Its pretty nice, especially now that it includes amazon prime video. The only thing its lack in for me is Funimation now! If I could stream my anime I would be complete.

Offline Doc Dino

• Fair Winds & Following Seas ...
  • Galaxy Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »

Bump ...

Still looking for more info .. 

Probably going for Roku with Sling but ...

Freedom isn't Free .....    Common sense isn't so Common anymore  ...

Offline Zamiake

• Stark Tides and Glory Dawns
  • Warrior
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
Dls speeds are ick, but much more stable then satellite. If anything you will be stuck streaming only 420p or maybe 720p quality and it'll be slow any higher. You spend more time buffering then watching.

As others suggested how is your cell phone service out there? if its better then your options in tv and such i would try going for an unlimited plan and using chromocast but thats only if you have the unlimited plan and decent service. Other wise i'd go with roku and sling
Stark Tides and Glory Dawns

Offline xUnbreakablex

• Warrior
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 04:48:16 AM »
Just got an Apple TV 4K. The newest version does not come pre-installed with apps. You have to download the apps individually. That means I can now have Funimation now!!! My life is complete. I also used a pirate box for awhile with Kodi. It worked great for awhile but they are starting to crack down on its use. Especially now that net neutrality is gone. Isps Have started taking an active stance to block streaming sites. Try an android device. Will give you more flexibility I think. I have heard great things about the amazon fire stick too.