Author Topic: Writers and series for Military Sci-Fi  (Read 163 times)

Offline Ghostryder

• Bekker
  • Khan
  • Bloodname: Bekker
Writers and series for Military Sci-Fi
« on: August 05, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »
Okay, apparently we have a lot of readers in the Clan who enjoy the Military Sci-Fi genre.
So there is SOME form of order here, please reply with the following:
Author: (In compilations, anthems, ect, just put 'Various'
Synopsis:  Brief synopsis of the story line
# of books in the series (currently):

I'll start off:

Author: John Ringo
Series: Legacy of the Adenata
Synopsis:  Earth is invaded by a Warrior culture called the Posleen (Centaurs with croc heads).  They are organized by 'God-kings' that have normal intelligence, but the vast majority (the main force) are simple.  Earth and humanity has some help, though.
Books in the series:  12 (Start with 'A hymn before Battle')

Author: John Ringo
Series: Black Tides Rising
Synopsis:  Zombie outbreak, family takes to the ocean and begins to rebuild the USA through naval actions. 
Books in the series:  4  (Start with Under a Graveyard Sky)

Honestly, if you like his style, you'll like ANYTHING he writes (Queen of Wands is good, but religion plays a key part-fair warning, but good reads)
Link to everything:  http://www.johnringo.net/Home.aspx

Author: David Drake
Series: Hammer's Slammers
Synopsis:  Space faring mercenary company. 
Books in the series: http://david-drake.com/
One of the best out there, but got lazy recently...

And my all time favorite compilation:
Author:  Various
Synopsis:  Genetic engineering in the future has developed a society of genetically altered humans geared for war.  They revolted and the 'normal' humans fought back.  The sole (known) surviving ship went to the farthest human planet (named Haven) and tried to reinvent their society through conquest and genetic inter-breeding.  Excellent short stories,but I cannot find it in print anymore-If anyone has a copy I'll pay for shipping!
Series:  2-3(?)

Offline Bolo

• Warrior
  • Bloodname: Ghost Bear
Re: Writers and series for Military Sci-Fi
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:24:31 AM »

And my all time favorite compilation:
Author:  Various
Synopsis:  Genetic engineering in the future has developed a society of genetically altered humans geared for war.  They revolted and the 'normal' humans fought back.  The sole (known) surviving ship went to the farthest human planet (named Haven) and tried to reinvent their society through conquest and genetic inter-breeding.  Excellent short stories,but I cannot find it in print anymore-If anyone has a copy I'll pay for shipping!
Series:  2-3(?)

War World is a science fiction shared-world series created by Jerry E. Pournelle and John F. Carr

One place to buy the books

or even cheaper through amazon...
amazon items

Cavete autem ab ursis!  (beware of bears)

Offline Lupineuk

• I'm New, Help a Sibko out!
  • Sibkin
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »
Okay my 2p first thing that comes to mind are my favourite two David Weber series.
Honor Harrington series Main character is a bit of a Mary Sue but still very well written.  Think Napoleonic Wars in space to some extent or at least to start. 
Author: David Weber (with some other authors on side stories/prequels)
Synopsis:  Starting with On Basilisk Station follows the career of Honor Harington from her first command in a dumping ground area for military misfits/embarrassments onwards during the rise of the  Manticoran system.
# of books in the series (currently): 13 books in core series but there is some prequels/side stories and he is still writing the core series.

It basically starts out as Napolionic War in space but I love a lot of the scientific details and explanations of why things are the way they are. Very much an underdog series where discovery of new technology helps a small Kingdom punch above it's weight when it is put under threat by a larger kinda communist state.

Safehold series
Author: David Weber
Synopsis: Humanity has first contact with aliens and we come out as the bug on the windscreen.  As a last ditch an Ark is sent out to re-establish humanity elsewhere outside of the invasion corridor so humanity can get a chance to build up and survive if they encounter them again.  What actually happens is some of the people in charge of the cryo pod instead decide to play god rewriting people's knoweldge making them angels in the sleepers minds establishing a new set of beliefs that they were created on their new planet by God and he handed them down commandments through the surviving Ark officers as including limiting technology to renaissance era tech.
# of books in the series (currently): 9 currently but still being written.

Offline Dubious Squirrel

• I'm New, Help a Sibko out!
  • Star Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »
Culture series by Ian M Banks. Start with 'Consider Phlebas', the first book in the series. Ian was a brilliant writer and his Culture series is easily the best sci-fi I've read, so far.

Offline Tarzan of Barsoom

• Howdy Folks!
  • Star Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:48:45 AM »
Star Fire series by David Weber and Steve White (who has been replaced by other authors for the last few books)

7 books

Good space opera focusing on space naval battles and political manueverings. My favorite in the series is Insurrection

http://www.baen.com/categories/books-by-series-list/starfire-series-by-david-weber-and-steve-white.html