Author Topic: Twilight of the Clans  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Ghost Paladin117

• Battletech: Serious Business
  • Trothkin
  • Bloodname: Ghost Bear
Twilight of the Clans
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
I'm on the last parts of the series and so far the Smoke Jaguar has gotten it's ass kicked. Great books. At the part now where operation serpent has ended and the reinforcements are going to challenge the other crusaders. GHOST BEARS announce switch in mentality after seeing the prowess of IS warriors.

Offline Lupineuk

• A bear in wolf's clothing
  • Warrior
Re: Twilight of the Clans
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »
Have to say with a few exceptions the Battletech novels are very well written. I kinda expected it from people like Zahn and Stackpole having read their star wars stuff but still that's what got me into clans rather than opponents/targets I'd seen from Mech warrior and commander

Offline Crunch Troll

• Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
  • Loremaster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 11:59:04 AM »
Stackpole and Zahn are their best writers. And Stackpole has been there from the beginning.

The floggings shall continue until morale improves.

Offline Ghost Paladin117

• Trothkin
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:19:41 PM »
Yeah he's among my favorites. There are others I really like too. The author of the Black Thorns series is good too

Offline Lupineuk

• Warrior
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »
They do the best star wars stuff too Rogue squadron /wraith squadron and thrawn series

Offline Ghostryder

• Bekker
  • Khan
  • Bloodname: Bekker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
Agreed, really good writers, but their editing sucks...Muy OCD alter ego has underlined every typo/incorrect referece-of which there are many...Still, good reads and opens the Universe a little more with each one

Offline Ghost Paladin117

• Trothkin
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 02:25:36 PM »
Lol isn't that what the EDITOR is for???

Offline xUnbreakablex

• Hot Mess
  • Star Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
Agreed, really good writers, but their editing sucks...Muy OCD alter ego has underlined every typo/incorrect referece-of which there are many...
ahem....cough....

Every dead body that is not exterminated, gets up and kills. The people it kills get up and kill. - Gorillaz

Offline Crunch Troll

• Loremaster
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 10:13:04 PM »
Yeah he's among my favorites. There are others I really like too. The author of the Black Thorns series is good too

Crunch quite liked that series. He had hoped for a few more about the Black Thorns as they are known to have survived to at least 3070 however they fate after that is unknown (they were on Galedon when a plague was accidentally released on the planet. They did get a scenario book though.

Offline Crunch Troll

• Loremaster
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
Agreed, really good writers, but their editing sucks...Muy OCD alter ego has underlined every typo/incorrect referece-of which there are many...Still, good reads and opens the Universe a little more with each one

Stackpole's first Battletech books (1987) was the Warrior series about Justin Allard (father of Kai Allard). The submitted manuscripts for all  3 books were about 1/4 to 1/3 longer than requested and Stackpole was told to edit them down to the requested size by the book company. He told them he could not and still tell the story adequately. In effect he said no. He won. And thus one of the best series of all the BT books were written. Right up there with the Kerensky series (which featured Phelan Kell), also written by Stackpole. And he wrote the novellas for the new Battletech game (as part of some of the backer kits).

Offline Crunch Troll

• Loremaster
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 10:21:13 PM »

It takes every fibre of Crunch's being to not pull out a highlighter and marking bad spelling and grammar in any book. It drives him crazy.

Offline Lupineuk

• Warrior
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »
Yeah it's the Blood of Kerensky series that got me interested in the Clans and also the Battletech universe outside of MW4 and the Mechcommanders.

Offline Ghost Paladin117

• Trothkin
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »
Is that the one with Phelan? I forgot. Read it either way. Yeah man. I'm just going down the list in order. Almost done. Just have to see Victor end his murderous bitch sister.

Offline Crunch Troll

• Loremaster
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 11:17:24 PM »
Is that the one with Phelan? I forgot. Read it either way. Yeah man. I'm just going down the list in order. Almost done. Just have to see Victor end his murderous bitch sister.

Correct. It introduced us to Phelan and the beginning of his story with the Clans. Victor, Kai and Hohiro were also introduced and prominent.

Offline xUnbreakablex

• Hot Mess
  • Star Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 04:55:37 AM »
I bet Tom clan he would have been amazing doing a clan novel. Maybe Ill try my hand. I am not bad at writing. I just hate papers. Cant imagine writing 500 pages.

Every dead body that is not exterminated, gets up and kills. The people it kills get up and kill. - Gorillaz