Author Topic: A question about preparing game meat...  (Read 256 times)

Offline Mark (Shadowfax 13th)

• -The world breaks everyone...
  • Star Colonel
  • Bloodname: Ghost Bear
A question about preparing game meat...
« on: December 16, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »

So I happened to get several pounds of moose and venison today. If it were steaks or loins I could figure it out but I've never prepared ground game meat.

I know that venison is very lean, and I suppose moose might be too though I'm not sure about that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ghostryder

• Bekker
  • Khan
  • Bloodname: Bekker
Re: A question about preparing game meat...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »
if it's ground up (like hamburger), you don't need to prep it...are you looking for recipies?

Offline BigBlue

• Old age and deceit can beat youth and skill ...
  • Warrior
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
Just recipes:

https://honest-food.net/venison-sauce-piquante-recipe/

The gator hunter had set me in the right direction. I  had never eaten a sauce piquante (sauce pee-kahnt) before, and when it came it looked like red gumbo. It was about as thick as a gumbo, and was very tomatoey, with an island of white rice in the center and lots of diced gator floating around. It was spicy, but not blow-your-head-off spicy. I had never eaten anything like it. Gumbo meets chili.

I suspect half a dozen guys here can give you chili recipes.

There are also venison jambalaya, venison dirty rice and venison gumbo in my stack of recipes. The only real difference between the regular and the venison versions are the protein source and whether you need extra spice to decrease the game flavors.
Bigblue
Mechwarrior

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
As quoted in Pocket Patriot : George S. Patton, Jr. Quotes from American Heroes (2005) edited by Kelly Nickell, p. 157

Offline Mark (Shadowfax 13th)

• -The world breaks everyone...
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »
if it's ground up (like hamburger), you don't need to prep it...are you looking for recipies?

It is ground like hamburger, and yes recipes please. By prep I just meant cooking with it. Though  wonder if I should add some kind of fat to counteract the leanness.

Just recipes:

https://honest-food.net/venison-sauce-piquante-recipe/
I suspect half a dozen guys here can give you chili recipes.
There are also venison jambalaya, venison dirty rice and venison gumbo in my stack of recipes. The only real difference between the regular and the venison versions are the protein source and whether you need extra spice to decrease the game flavors.

Thanks BB, I like the game flavor so I don't need to mask it or anything. Look forward to reading that link.

Offline BigBlue

• Old age and deceit can beat youth and skill ...
  • Warrior
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
I also saw this in my travels, point 12. I believe is the most interesting.

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/articles/12-reasons-why-your-venison-tastes-like-hell

12. Getting too Fancy
There is no big mystery or secret to cooking venison. Treat it as you would treat very lean beef, and you will get outstanding results day in and out. We substitute deer burger for beef hamburger in virtually everything  chili, tacos, sloppy Joes, burgers on the grill, spaghetti and who knows what else. We never plan on a wild game night at the house. We just plan to cook dinner, and that usually means wild game by default.
Bigblue
Mechwarrior

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
As quoted in Pocket Patriot : George S. Patton, Jr. Quotes from American Heroes (2005) edited by Kelly Nickell, p. 157