Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online Server Population  (Read 266 times)

Offline BigBlue

• Old age and deceit can beat youth and skill ...
  • Warrior
  • Bloodname: Ghost Bear
Mechwarrior Online Server Population
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
chart of population

The only reason I posted this was I was looking at World of Warcraft subscriber decline.

Still I wonder if there is any pre steam data readily available for MWO.

Bigblue
Mechwarrior

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
As quoted in Pocket Patriot : George S. Patton, Jr. Quotes from American Heroes (2005) edited by Kelly Nickell, p. 157

Offline Hikage

• death before dishonor
  • Trothkin
  • Bloodname: Hall
Re: Mechwarrior Online Server Population
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »
I don't recal pgi being particularily transparent about their activity numbers, but if that's the steam numbers, it doesn't speak well about the games health over all. alternatively if pgi was transparent about the numbers at some point, it was buried in the forums somewhere so it was hard to find.

Offline Darth Sharkray

• I am the m*****f*****g Emperor!
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:46:46 AM »
quite interesting to see how "peak-numbers" changed over time. Maximum peak was around Steam-Launch and has been in steady decline ever since. And everytime they launched a "bigger" mechpack (Civil War etc.) there was a bit of a higher peak, however a month later it went back down to the usual. I guess those that are still on now are really your "hard-core" Battletech fans who keep playing MWO for the lack of a better alternative

Reactor: ONLINE
Sensors: ONLINE
Weapons: ONLINE
Aimbot: ONLINE
 - All Systems Nominal

Offline BigBlue

• Old age and deceit can beat youth and skill ...
  • Warrior
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
I think the best we can take from it is we have a steady population through steam data. Hopefully they adequately measure the die-hards like us.

But, beyond that I do not think we can take away much. Like I heard the discussion on World of Warcraft, it is not how many people who play, but how much actual revenue they take away.

Granted it is better to have a 10 million population versus a 10 thousand, but ultimately is are they earning enough to maintain servers and create new content.

P.S. Looking at the numbers I doubt PGI would willingly share any population stats if they have any investors at all. Hence the reason WoW shopped releasing theirs. While they were gaining hundreds of thousands per month it was a cheery if uninformative statistic. When they started to decline by millions it was not something they wanted to discuss (or explain, Warlords of Draenor, cough cough...)
Bigblue
Mechwarrior

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
As quoted in Pocket Patriot : George S. Patton, Jr. Quotes from American Heroes (2005) edited by Kelly Nickell, p. 157