Author Topic: Names of our Warriors  (Read 13269 times)

Offline NAZGUL

• Trothkin
    • Naz Online
  • Bloodname: Ghost Bear
Names of our Warriors
« on: July 22, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »
I'm Curious as to how and where you all came up with your name/names, have you carried it with you for some time? or just picked it out.
Inquiring minds want to know!

NAZGUL/NAZGULL/NAZGUULL - I've had to modify the spelling a bit for various games but always managed to keep it close to the Original.
as you can tell I'm a LOTR fan, I've carried this handle/name for over 15 years. It all started with the first true MP first person shooter I ever got into, Return to Castle wolfenstein. ever since then I've carried it.
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."  Harry S. Truman

Offline The Great Unwashed

• The Society
  • Trothkin
Re: Names of our Warriors
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
I received my name from my late father who once cried it when I was gaming while I should be showering (about 20-25 years ago, I meanwhile showered)... for some reason it amused me and selected it as an in-game name ever since. I like the name because few of the plebs know its meaning and it is such a misnomer for the misanthrope I tend to be...

Offline Atheris

• Trothkin
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 08:21:57 AM »

Offline LowRoad

• "Be excellent to each other"- Theodore "Ted" Logan
  • Trothkin
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:42:55 AM »
When I found out that MWO existed I knew I wanted to play and join a Ghost Bear faction. I hadn't played video games in about a decade, and never played with a team on headsets which always seemed awesome. I knew I would be a terrible rookie and that I would embarrass myself quite a bit. I had played BT a ton as a kid so I was willing to take my lumps.

I chose LowRoad due to the song "The Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomond". There are quite a few interpretations. Literally the low road was the more dangerous road with many obstacles used by the peasants. Some interpret it to mean the path your soul takes on the journey home. Either one seemed to fit my situation.

implying that I'm a terrible person made it too fun to pass up.

Offline Ancient Demise

• Greg "Dem" Hawkins
  • Warrior
    • Twitch TV
  • Bloodname: Hawkins
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
I'm really not old. I promise. Reverse image search my avatar and you will see the full reference. I used to go by Naga Sadow which iirc means Dragon's Shadow, but there was too much confusion with the name itself so I went with something a little more cryptic.
Imo, "ancient demise" means that one's downfall had been a long time coming, or that something from one's past will be their downfall, not an old persons's own demise - the name is not Ancient's demise.
<21:50:33> "Aleksandr Wolf": I DECLARE EXTERMINATUS ON THE INNER SPHERE

Offline Doc Dino

• Fair Winds & Following Seas ...
  • Galaxy Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 10:51:10 AM »
Well mine is a little more convoluted the those put up so far ..

The U.S. Marines have no medical department of their own, the Navy supplies that in the form of my brethren Hospital Corpsman, they in turn Honor us with the Title "Doc", unfortunately was not able to go work with them but have in recent years worked with a few guys that were Marines (really no such thing as a former Marine) & honored me with that title that I use here ..

Dino is a funny story; in middle school a friend tagged me with it but it was mostly just between us ... he started with Dino as in short for dinosaur since he thought that I seemed older by personality than my years would actually indicate ... when email started I started using for my email handle & have ever since ..  Just seemed 'Right' for me ...

Freedom isn't Free .....    Common sense isn't so Common anymore  ...

Offline Bregor

• If at first you do not succeed. Try a bigger Mech.
  • Warrior
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »
I am also a fan of LotR and other works from Tolkien that are related to that. My very first name in an MMO (EQOA on the PS2) was Gwindor (elf). Then I also made a character called Bregor, a human (edain).

Offline Winters Bear

• Rear guard is anyone that doent run faster than me
  • Trothkin
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
Well this name with or with out spaces has been used by me sense some time in 1995. Started using it on Dalnet, EFF net, and EF net.  Any time I have plaited an online game I use some form or another.
May those that love us love us.
And those that hate us may god turn their ankles so that we might know them by their limps.

Offline Tuann

• It only takes 1 shot to Kill 2 mechs...
  • Trothkin
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
mine is derived from an old Celthic saga/myth about the Tuatha de dannan.
i made this into Tuann.

been using this name in role-play and live role play since about 25 years ago

Offline Bregor

• If at first you do not succeed. Try a bigger Mech.
  • Warrior
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »
Tuatha de dannan.

Now I understand the reference to your evil twin with that name and yours in MWO. :)

Offline Calamus

• Star Colonel 3rd Bear Guard
  • I'm a support mech!
  • Trothkin
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 07:32:50 PM »
I used to name all my characters off the latin name for plant life.  The first two characters I played online using that system were in Star Wars Online - one was a male toon named Yerba Matte (a twilek), and the other was a female character named Lobelia Inflata (human).  Oh, I also had another male toon called Ginko Biloba.  He was one of those green snout motherfuckers, whatever their race was called.  Greedo was one in the first movie.

Both of those names were a bit campy, so when I changed to other games I chose Calamus - after a Calamus reed.  When I played Age of Conan I went with a surname name that meant 'bald' in latin (as best as I could translate anyway) - and came up with Calamus Calvus.  Been that since then.

I'm a support mech!

Offline Crovus

• Unnapologetically honest, sorry when i offend.
  • Trothkin
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »
Crovus, wanted to be Corvus but it was taken so i bastardised it XD (corvus is latin for Raven/Crow)

Offline Cimarb

• HAI BERS!
  • Trothkin
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 11:10:37 PM »
So, when my wife and I started playing WoW, we were trying to come up with a name for her character. She wanted to do something with our names in it, which were Brandon and Michelle (it is actually Lisa Michelle, but that is a whole other story). I took the first three letters of both names - Bra and Mic - and she has ever since used the callsign Bramic.

I have used several callsigns over the years, but once she did that, I thought I would follow suit, so in my great creativity, I flipped it backwards to make Cimarb! That character was a Night Elf Druid, but I used the root "Cim" on lots of characters, like my Undead Mage Cimarbbq, my Tauren Druid Cimbul (have to say that was my favorite, lol), and my Blood Elf Paladin Cimzar. Since Cim was the constant, I have just went by that since.

Offline Bubblewhip

• Clan Abtakha Warrior
  • Trothkin
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:34 AM »
Yin is derived from a good friend in the past who was "Kin" which meant gold. Yin means silver, it is also Yin in Yin and Yang so you will see me run around with both the Chinese character for Silver and the Yin/Yang one.

Yin is part of the furry stuff, behind the guy who is into guns, military, and now DCing drop commander there is a soft and squishy furry that has a boyfriend. So it just represents the two sides of myself.

Bubblewhip is just a funny callsign. It came from a podcast that called the Pope's vehicle as a "bullet proof bubblewhip" and that somehow stuck with me long enough to make a username when I was changing names around and wanted a fake alias. Bubblewhip has stuck ever since.

Offline IronClaws

• Mechwarrior Edward "IronClaws"
  • Trothkin
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 03:16:42 AM »
Well, I joined (recently) as Edward Bekker, but quickly decided that I should change the name since I had not actually earned a bloodname.  So, I made a new account and rejoined as Edward "IRONCLAWS".  IRONCLAWS is a callsign that is fitting for a warrior of Clan Ghost Bear in my opinion.